The UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)Healthy Ageing Challenge, will work with Innovate UK, to invest up to£14.4million in innovation projects.
These will be to deliver a clear game-changing service-led innovation to help people as they age, positively, actively, independently and with dignity.
The aims of this competition are to:
· address the under-provision of products and services which support people as they age to remain active, independent and socially connected
· support business-led, near-to-market innovations that have potential to scale
· enforce good people-centred design principles
· encourage applications from businesses across the UK, by working with devolved government administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Your project must:
· have total eligible costs between £500,000 and £2million
· start by 1May 2022
· end by 30April 2024
· last between 6 months and 24 months
· carry out all of its project work in the UK
· intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
To lead a project or work alone your organisation must be a UK registered business of any size. Academic institutions cannot lead or work alone.
A business can only lead on one application but can be included as a collaborator in a further 2 applications.
Your project must focus on one or more of the following service-led innovations that:
· enables self-care and new models of care for independent living
· encourages sustaining physical activity for people aged 50 and over, including for instance, active travel
· improves mental health
· addresses the ‘common complaints’ of ageing, for example, incontinence, pain, mobility, hearing and eyesight
Your project must:
· deliver a clear game-changing service-led innovation, that has a significant impact on ageing positively in the UK
· help people as they age, allowing them to remain active, productive, independent and socially connected for as long as possible
· narrow the gap between the experience of the richest and poorest
· conduct industrial research to develop new and applied knowledge leading to a solution at high technology and market readiness
Your proposal must:
· be delivered as a 6 months to two-year, business-led project, with a strong emphasis on people-centred design, as tested by the design stage gate review, and an ambition to scale
· identify a solution that must be sufficiently well-defined to be shaped by the initial six-month design stage gate review
The design stage gate review will be informed by your first six months’ people-centred design activity. This must be backed up by a revised commercialisation plan. You must be available at this six-month point for the review, along with your revised business and commercialisation plans.