• Eligibility: Open exclusively to UK-registered organisations.
• Objective: To reduce cost and risk in offshore wind development projects in the US through meaningful UK-US collaborations.
• Key Dates:
• Competition Opens: 16 October 2023
• Competition Closes: 10 January 2024, at 11:00am UK time
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, is allocating up to £2 million for UK-based offshore wind R&D projects that collaborate with separately funded US projects. UK projects must work in partnership with US projects, funded via the National Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium (NOWRDC). The collaboration aims to be significant, integrating the UK and US efforts effectively.
Funding and Project Size:
• Funding Type: Grant
• Project’s Total Eligible Costs: £150,000 to £600,000
What They Are Looking For:
• UK projects that demonstrate integration with US projects.
• Projects that address one or more challenges in offshore wind resiliency, operation & maintenance (O&M), and ocean area coexistence.
• Consortium must include non-linked UK and US partners.
• The proposal must align with the scope and eligibility requirements.
• Feasibility projects, industrial research projects, and experimental development projects are eligible.
• Challenge areas include solutions for offshore wind resiliency, O&M systems development, and innovation for ocean area coexistence.
What They Will Not Fund:
• Energy storage solutions with a duration less than 10 hours.
• Energy storage R&D not related to offshore wind.
• Baseline environmental data collection, surveys, or studies.
• Projects dependent on export performance or domestic inputs usage.