The Automotive Transformation Fund (ATF) is an Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) programme that aims to establish a competitive and sustainable UK supply chain.
It offers a share of up to £1billion of funding for capital and associated industrial research projects. This will be to support the industrialisation of a high value, electrified automotive supply at scale in the UK.
This is an expression of interest (EoI) competition, which is the first stage in a two-stage process. Your EoI application outlines your proposal and potential benefits to the UK. If your application is successful, you will be invited to progress to a full application for the ATF competition.
Total eligible project costs and project duration must be appropriate and in proportion to the planned objectives and prioritisation of the Automotive Transformation Fund.
To be eligible your project must request a minimum of £1 million in grant against your total eligible project costs.
To lead a project or work alone your organisation must:
• be a business of any size
• carry out its project work in the UK
• intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
• address the requirements of the Automotive Transformation Fund
Your project can include partners that do not receive any of this competition’s funding, for example non-UK businesses. Their costs will count towards the total eligible project costs.
There are no restrictions on the number of applications a business can lead or collaborate on.
Your project must support the industrialisation at scale of an electrified automotive supply chain. It must be appropriate and in proportion to the planned objectives and prioritisation of the Automotive Transformation Fund (ATF).
You should be looking to transform the automotive industry through significant business or production expansion. We expect your project to be centred around a product, process, or technology that you have already demonstrated and have confirmed as technically and economically feasible.
Your application can be for:
• capital investment only
• capital and associated R&D activity
Your proposal must prioritise the scale up in areas mentioned in the Automotive Transformation Strategy for an electrified supply chain. Your project must prioritise scale up and can focus on but is not limited to:
• batteries including cells (’gigafactories’)
• electric motors and drives
• power electronics
• fuel cells
• upstream supply chain for, batteries including cells, electric motors and drives, power electronics or fuel cells
• recycling of, batteries including cells, electric motors and drives, power electronics or fuel cells
The ATF will prioritise support to projects that:
• can act as anchors to their respective supply chains
• are likely to lead to further investments while creating a sustainable and competitive supply chain for the future