About the Competition: The Greening the Screen Cymru Scale-Up Fund is overseen by Innovate UK (part of UKRI), funded by UKRI Strength in Places, and is delivered on behalf of Media Cymru and Ffilm Cymru Wales. Media Cymru, a consortium of 23 organisations led by Cardiff University, envisages the Cardiff Capital Region (CCR) as a global nexus for media innovation while promoting green and equitable economic growth.
Aim: This competition supports UK organisations in scaling sustainable products, services, or processes aimed at mitigating the screen industry's environmental impact in the CCR. Following the insights from BAFTA albert's Screen New Deal, the projects should focus on:
- Energy and fuel efficiency
- Green transportation
- Circular economy, waste management, and eco-friendly catering
- Data capture and dissemination, including expertise, technical insight, production planning, and reporting throughout the supply chain.
Your proposal should:
1. Implement solutions, driven by BAFTA albert's Screen New Deal, to significantly cut the screen sector's environmental footprint.
2. Show potential to deliver a scalable, commercially viable business model (when applicable).
3. Engage in knowledge sharing with Ffilm Cymru Wales, Media Cymru, and the broader creative industry.
4. Promote sustainable production practices in Wales.
5. Align with the outcomes of the Media Cymru programme and relevant policies such as the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act, UN Sustainable Development Goals, Innovation Strategy for Wales, Beyond Recycling, and the Creative Industries Sector Vision.
A diverse range of projects will be funded, ensuring:
- Geographic balance within the sub-regions
- Varying technological maturity and types
- Alignment with zero-carbon and zero-waste objectives
- Collaboration opportunities with SMEs in the supply chain
Projects can resonate with one or more transformational areas spotlighted in BAFTA albert's Screen New Deal route map for sustainable film production:
- Responsible procurement and reuse of production materials
- Alternatives to traditional energy sources and water management
- Repurposing and efficient management of studio buildings and facilities
- Sustainable transport, waste reduction, and circular production at studio sites
- Digital collaboration tools, virtual planning, and shared infrastructure for production
Projects Not Funded
Proposals focused on early-stage R&D, without a clear potential environmental impact in CCR and Wales, without a novel technological application, disproportionately involving non-UK entities, or not aligned with the competition's scope won't be funded.
Seize the Opportunity
If your organisation is primed to revolutionise the screen industry with green innovations, contact Inventya on 01925 506 100 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re enthusiastic about backing your endeavours for a sustainable and prosperous media landscape in Wales.